Toxic Mold Protection Act of 2001
We inspect your property, take samples under the direction of Pro-Labs, and Pro-Lab does the laboratory analysis. We then report back to you with the findings and, if necessary, recommendations of remedial action.
Pro-Lab is an EPA recognized laboratory. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognized laboratories in compliance with State and Federal lab methods perform all analyses.
We can also test for
To set up an inspection and testing or to get prices, call
We perform NO remedial or corrective work so there is no conflict of interest.
Toxic Black Mold - Do you have it ?
If so, what do you do about it ?
-What's all the fuss about ?
Stachybotrys chartarum (atra), Penicillium,
Toxic, Health threatening molds, found in
Nasty sounding stuff isn't it?
These molds can be found anywhere that damp conditions permit them to grow. When you try to kill them, they take to the air, spreading themselves with no forethought to the damage they can cause. They are just trying to survive.
And they're good at it.
Remember the story of the opening of King Tut's tomb? Mold was reportedly thick and pungent. The treasure hunters and laborers took ill after spending long days inside, and many died, but we now know it was NOT because the tomb was cursed.
Only in the past decade or less have we begun to understand the potential health risks associated with exposure to mold contamination.
Spores can be inhaled, absorbed through the skin or ingested on our food. And, because some people are more susceptible than others, one person may become debilitated by exposure to mold in the home, another person sharing the same environment is essentially unaffected.
Infants, the elderly and anyone with immune system deficiencies due to disease, chemotherapy, etc. are particularly susceptible to serious illness following exposure to microbial contamination.
Many species of mold and mildew (or the mycotoxins they produce) can cause or aggravate a number of ailments. Common effects from molds such as stachybotrys atra, penecillium, cladosporium and several strains of aspergillius, are asthma, pneumonitis, upper respiratory problems, sinusitis, dry cough, skin rashes, stomach upset, headaches, disorientation and bloody noses. Numerous other species of mold and mildew are also toxic, and many mycotoxins are known carcenogens. Severe exposures can lead to internal bleeding, kidney and liver failure and pulmonary emphysema. Such health risks due to the presence of mold in a dwelling are a serious concern to occupants, and can pose potential liability for owners of rental properties.
Contamination of residential properties by toxic mold and mildew is becoming more and more prevalent. Although mankind has been aware for thousands of years that mold thrives in damp conditions, only recently have we begun to understand how dramatically its presence can impact us. Toxic mold and mildew is not discerning, affecting both old and new buildings.
The odor or appearance of mold can signal a variety of problems. The moisture that gives life to fungal growth in older buildings can be either a moisture problem created by tenant's use, or water intrusion due to leaky components, or both. In new construction, it could also indicate the existence of construction defects.
"I Don't Remember Mold Being a Concern Twenty Years Ago"
Molds and mildew are everywhere in our environment, and in nature, they perform the very important function of breaking down organic matter. These microbes need very little to survive and thrive: air, moisture (liquid water isn't necessary, most species propagate with only 40%-60% relative humidity), and food. Fungi are especially fond of building materials like sheetrock and wood, carpets, and enjoy soft goods such as furniture and clothes. Every home offers a smorgasbord for eager spores!
There are a number of reasons for the increasing problem of mold and mildew in our homes, not the least of which is the fact that Title 24 to the United States Code of Federal Regulations, relating to energy conservation, brought new construction methods and materials, meaning that buildings don't "breathe" as freely, trapping moisture vapors inside the building. Most new homes are built on concrete slabs, which emit moisture for several years as they cure, and because they are porous, moisture from the soil beneath the slab also vaporizes into the living space. Leaky roofs, windows, and plumbing, whether caused by poor construction or lack of timely repairs, often result in colonization of mold and mildew spores. The microbial spores become airborne, spreading inside wall cavities, behind cabinets and wallpaper, and through ventilation systems. When moisture and temperature conditions are favorable, widespread contamination can occur in a surprisingly short time.
The toxic mold environmental risk may be one of the next major real estate "due diligence" concerns, especially in property development areas where major flooding has occurred. The problem is that this not only includes known residential and commercial flood areas incidents, but also numerous minor water releases due to plumbing failures, conductive condensation, house water leaks and accidents. The toxic mold concern could also be a problem where fires occurred at residential properties.
The second major concern is that one might not be able to permanently eliminate the entire toxic mold from the structure. There also remains a great propensity for future reoccurrence. The health risk/hazard could be back again. Therefore, we must recommend that great care be exercised to remove and dispose of all products, which have been contaminated by the toxic mold contaminated. This recommendation is supported by the Department of Health Administrations in many states.
The third concern is that States' Health Departments will consider ambiguous and genetic disposition as a response to the publics' inquiries. There will be some people, especially children, that will exhibit more adverse reactions, including death, lung tissue damage, and memory loss, than other persons exposed to the toxic mold. This may depend on the chemical sensitivity, genetic disposition, predisposing health history (such as allergies, asthma, smoking, etc.). For some, the exposure to the toxic mold spores may just be a "health risk" and to others, it may be a real "health hazard" (potential life-threatening and loss of "quality of life".) Whether a potential liability concern is a risk or hazard will be paramount in defining the critical level of due diligence and disclosure response by responsible parties. There are already several major lawsuits concerning toxic mold exposure in residential and commercial buildings throughout the United States. Currently, most health organizations consider exposure to Stachybotrys mold as a health hazard.
Also, keep in mind that most responses leading to testing, investigations, and abatement of the Stachybotrys toxic mold are due directly to occupant complaints or documented detrimental health effects. Stachybotrys mold may evolve to a point where it is regarded with the same cautions, response and liability concerns as those attributed to lead-base paint and asbestos. Health hazards and risks associated with concern to exposure to Stachybotrys are currently considered as short-term effects. Exposure to radon gas in houses is considered a long-term health risk and is not considered a short-term hazard.
This came on the Associated Press
Ed McMahon Sues, Says Mold Killed Dog
POSTED: 3:17 p.m. EDT April 10, 2002
LOS ANGELES -- Ed McMahon is suing over the mold in his house that he said killed his dog. McMahon has filed a $20 million lawsuit against his insurance company. He said toxic mold started growing in his house in Beverly Hills after a pipe burst and flooded the den.
McMahon said he and his wife got sick and their dog died from an illness linked to the mold.
McMahon and his wife have moved out of the house while it's being cleaned. They're now renting a place for $23,000 a month.